So, somehow, incredibly enough, against all odds, it appears as though we will actually reach the End Of The Trail in a day or two. We are still in complete disbelief. You see, this has felt like the trail-that-never-ends. It just goes on and on and on. Through winter, summer, Spring, through mountains, tropics, river valleys, along gravel roads, bitumen highways, sandy flats. After a few months, it feels like you’re gunna be on it for bloody ever. So although our imminent completion of the BNT still feels a bit surreal, Z and I have been indulging in a bit of ‘when we get home….’ing.
Things we are looking forward to:
1. Having more than two changes of clothes to wear. And JEANS.
2. Cooking on more than one element. With huge, heavy saucepans. And butter… Mmmm.
3. Reading real books. Like, ones made from actual paper.
4. Not being limited to a choice of either hiking boots or thongs in footwear.
5. Flannelette sheets. No scratchy nylon in sight!
6. Crunchy green food.
7. No water worries. It just comes out of a tap.
8. Not having to wash undies and socks every night.
9. Not having to be hypervigilant or worry about strange noises at night.
10. The ocean- surfing, snorkelling… just the smell of it.
11. Never having to eat muesli bars, chocolate, porridge, fruit leather, or le snacks ever, ever again.
And the Things I reckon we’ll miss:
3. Living with the bubs.. Even if they do try to steal our muesli.
4. Fresh air, open spaces.
10. River swims.
11. The surprise of a new home every night.
12. The way everyday feels like a new beginning…